Changes to Benefits - LHA Cap

Content owner : Last updated : 22/01/18

On 25 October 2017 the Government announced that it had dropped plans to cap housing benefit for social housing and supported accommodation tenants from April 2019.

The Government had planned to limit the amount of housing benefit paid to social housing tenants to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate used for private sector tenancies. This would have had a significant impact on single tenants under the age of 35 who would have only qualified for the shared accommodation rate and for older tenants living in supported housing who have additional support costs.

your home

On this page