Home contents insurance

Content owner : housing@knh.org.uk Last updated : 12/07/17

Many council tenants think that KNH automatically insures their furniture, belongings and decorations against damage - this is not the case.

Unfortunately, many of our customers only realise this after the damage has been done so we strongly recommend that you take out your own home contents insurance.

Fire, flood or 'break-ins' can bring financial disaster if you are not properly insured. Loss of or damage to your own possessions is entirely your responsibility.

We strongly recommend that you take out a home contents insurance policy. It needn't be expensive but it could save you thousands.

KNH runs its own, low cost, home contents insurance scheme arranged through an exclusive deal for our tenants.

The KNH policy is excellent value for money. It covers against damage caused by fire, water, theft or vandalism and will replace certain items which are up to five years old on a "new for old" basis. The policy does not require any "excess" payments from customers.

Payments can be made annually, monthly or even weekly at cash offices, post offices or by direct debit from a suitable bank account or by secure payment online.

The KNH policy is currently underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance, with the Policy being brokered via Marsh.

To make a claim

If you need to make a claim, call 0345 6718171 and quote the Insurance Reference number on your Schedule of Insurance.

You should contact the police about all incidents of accidental loss, theft attempted theft or vandalism, loss, damage or injury caused by malicious persons and do not dispose of damaged items before they are seen by the loss adjuster.

Please remember that your insurance account must be paid up to date to be eligible to make a claim.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your claim, the following steps should be taken:

  • Step 1
    Contact Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance PLC
    Household Operations
    PO BOX4162
    17 York Street
    M2 3RS

    Tel: 0845 071 0143
  • Step 2
    If you remain unhappy write to:
    Royal & Sun Alliance
    Customer Relations Office
    Bowling Mill
    Dean Clough Industrial Park
    HX3 5WA
  • Step 3
    If you are still unhappy write to:
    Financial Ombudsman Service,
    South Quay Plaza,
    183 Marsh Wall,
    E14 9SR.