Housing services for young people

Content owner : susan.greenwood@knh.org.uk Last updated : 17/11/17

The Young People's Tenancy Service is a specialist tenancy management service within KNH. We manage every independent council tenancy belonging to 16-18 year olds*. Our aim is to create successful, long-lasting tenancies for young adults which contributes to improving their health and wellbeing and their access to employment, education or training. We do this by working with a range of other agencies and support organisations as well as other teams within KNH.

We get involved with young people automatically when they reach the top of a shortlist after bidding on a property through the choose’n’move scheme. The Young People’s Tenancies Team sends out the offer of accommodation and arranges the viewing of the property and the signing of the Introductory Tenancy Agreement and subsequently manages the tenancy until the young person's 19th birthday.

Every 16-17 year old is offered a furniture pack to rent (except care leavers who are eligible for a Leaving Care Grant) and they receive 3 routine tenancy visits in the first year. We use the "Young Person's Star" at these visits (part of the Outcome Star web-based evaluation tool) to help customers to identify actions which will help them settle into their new home and generally make a positive transition into adulthood.

*It is only in very exceptional circumstances that tenancies are offered to 16 and 17 year olds and because minors cannot legally hold a tenancy in their own name they have to identify an adult to act as the “trustee” of the tenancy until their 18th birthday.

Housing services member Housing services member

Housing services helping young people

Frequently asked questions

Q. I am homeless, what do I do?

Kirklees Council has a specialist team who assess the housing and support needs of all 16 and 17 year olds and single, young people aged 18-24 years old. They are called the Young People and Support Team and they are part of the Housing Solutions' Service. Their phone number is 01484 221350 and they have assessment officers at both the Huddersfield and Dewsbury Customer Service Centres from Monday to Friday, 9am-5 pm (they close for lunch between 12.30pm & 1.30pm).

Q. Can I get a KNH tenancy at 16?

The Council’s priority is to prevent youth homelessness and you are not legally allowed a tenancy in your own right until you are 18. However, in exceptional circumstances, if you are found to be homeless by Kirklees Council, we may offer you an Introductory "Equitable" Tenancy. This type of tenancy is held ‘in trust’ for you until your 18th birthday. You would need to identify a responsible adult willing to act as your trustee. They have to sign the tenancy agreement with you. They receive copies of any notices or demands for payment relating to the tenancy. The trustee should ideally be one of your parents or another relative.

Q.Is there any extra help for me if I get a KNH tenancy?

If you are aged 16-18, your tenancy will automatically be managed by the KNH Young People's Tenancies Team. Their dedicated officers will show you round your prospective new home and will explain the different help that's available.

Q.I don’t have any furniture. What do I do?

If you have no furniture of your own, and you are aged 16 or 17, KNH’s Young People's Tenancies Team can rent you a basic, furniture pack for your new home. When you move on from the property you will have to leave the items behind as they are owned by the Council. If you are entitled to full housing benefit or full housing costs as part of universal credit, the weekly rental cost of the furniture pack will be covered for you.

If you are aged 18 you can contact the Council’s Local Welfare Provision (LWP) team for assistance. You can ring them on 01484 414782, Monday to Friday between 10am and 5pm.

Q.Will I get any other help? What does a tenancy support worker do?

We recognise how scary it can be moving into your first home so we try and give you as much help and advice as possible. If you feel you need additional help, KNH housing officers can refer you to a range of housing support organisations who will be able to support you more intensively. They can help you set up utility accounts (e.g. gas, electric, water), register with a local doctor and will help you with household budgeting amongst other things.

Tenancy support can last anything from a couple of weeks to 2 years, depending on how much help you need.

Q.What do I do if I want to move out of a KNH tenancy?”

It is really important that you end your tenancy properly. You must give at least 4 weeks’ notice and provide KNH with your forwarding address. To make it easy we have a form that you fill in. Just ask your housing officer for a "Notice of Termination Form". When your end date arrives, you need to leave your property clean and empty (apart from the furniture pack, if you’ve been renting one) and hand your keys in to your local Customer Service Centre or our head office on St Andrews Road in Huddersfield.

your home