Housing support for older people

Content owner : olderpeople.support@knh.org.uk Last updated : 30/07/13

Who can apply for the service?

Any council tenant over the age of 55 can apply. However, you must have some support needs. A member of the Support Team will visit you to assess your support needs. If demand is high, you may be put on a waiting list before the service can start.

If demand increases in the future, we may extend the service throughout Kirklees and also make it available for people living in private rented or owner occupied homes.

What can I expect from the service?

A member of our support team will agree a support plan with you. This plan will detail a service to suit your needs. It can be changed by agreement or whenever your needs change.

What type of support is available?

Our scheme co-ordinators provide advice and support to match your needs.

This could include:

  • an agreed timetable of contact which may be personal visits or telephone calls
  • links with other support agencies where personal care is needed, such as Adult Services Home Care
  • help in arranging repairs and adaptations in your home
  • advice on how to get help from other departments or agencies such as Housing Services or voluntary organisations
  • advice on security, health and safety within your home
  • arranging leisure and social activities in sheltered housing complexes and telling residents about other local social and leisure opportunities
  • keeping relatives informed of your well being, if you want us to
  • offering you the chance to become more involved in the community and decisions affecting your home
  • help with budgeting, pensions, benefit claims and post.

Our support staff will always make sure that your personal information is kept confidential. They will only pass on information with your approval or if it is in the interest of your health and safety.

How do I find out more about these services?